Welcome to the 2018 Business Pitch!
1. Contestants must be Cal State LA students or alumni (3 years after graduation is accepted). If you're in a team, at least one person must be a current student or alumni.
2. Cal State LA faculty and staff may participate, but must have at least one Cal State LA student in their team. In fact, we strongly encourage students to engage with faculty for their pitch!
3. Teams who submit a full application by the submission cut-off date will be asked to pitch in the semi-final round.
4. Out of the Semi-final round, the top 6 teams will be selected to pitch at the Business Pitch Finals in April. (2-Wild Card teams will also be selected)
5. All teams, including Wild Card teams, will be required to go through the mandatory 5-week training session before the pitch to make sure their idea is in the best form before pitching. (If you're in a team, we strongly encourage everyone to attend, but only one representative needs to be in attendance. Each team can have a maximum of 3 members.)
6. All finalists MUST participate in the final pitch. You've put in this much work already, why back out now?
7. Finally, be open-minded and willing to learn! No one enters this competition as an expert--it's a learning process.
8. If your idea qualifies as a social enterprise or a non-profit, you can qualify to win the additional Social Innovation Prize-money.
**Application Deadline: March 11th, 2018**
1st Place | $3,000
2nd Place | $2,000
3rd Place | $1,000
Social Innovation Prize | $1000
Tentative Schedule of Competition
February 11th, 2018 Submissions Open
- Must Attend One (1) Mandatory Session in Nongshim Lab, 4-5PM -
February 22nd, 2018
February 26nd, 2018
February 28th, 2018 - (Social Innovation Prize Workshop)
March 1st, 2018
March 7th, 2018
March 11th, 2018 – Submissions Close
March 14th, 2018 – Pitch Clinic/Workshop
March 16th, 2018 - Semi Final Pitch
This program provides real world, hands-on learning on what it’s like to actually start a company. The workshop sessions provide a place for students to test their ideas with real world entrepreneurial mentors in order to get themselves ready for the Final Business Pitch day.
Classes will be held between...
March 19th to April 24th
Specific Dates to TBA
April 24th, 2018 | University SU Theater