Welcome to the 2017 Business Pitch!
1. Contestants must be Cal State LA students or alumni (3 years after graduation is accepted). If you're in a team, at least one person must be a current student or alumni.
2. Cal State LA faculty and staff may participate, but must have at least one Cal State LA student in their team. In fact, we strongly encourage students to engage with faculty for their pitch!
3. Teams who submit a full application by the submission cut-off date will be asked to pitch in the semi-final round.
4. Out of the Semi-final round, the top 6 teams will be selected to pitch at the Business Pitch Finals in April. (2-Wild Card teams will also be selected)
5. All teams, including Wild Card teams, will be required to go through the mandatory 5-week training session before the pitch to make sure their idea is in the best form before pitching. (If you're in a team, we strongly encourage everyone to attend, but only one representative needs to be in attendance. Each team can have a maximum of 3 members.)
6. All finalists MUST participate in the final pitch. You've put in this much work already, why back out now?
7. Finally, be open-minded and willing to learn! No one enters this competition as an expert--it's a learning process.
THIS IS THE DECK FROM THE MANDATORY MEETINGS- IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING! It also includes what you should have on your slides, and what the judges will score you on.
**Application Deadline: March 10, 2017**
1st Place | $3,000
2nd Place | $2,000
3rd Place | $1,000
Tentative Schedule of Competition
February 1st, 2017 Submissions Open
March 2nd, 2017 - Mandatory Info Session (Simpson Tower @ 4:30PM)
March 10th, 2017 – Submissions Close
March 14th, 2017 – Pitch Clinic
March 16th, 2017 - Semi Final Pitch
University Student Union in the Glendale and Montebello Rooms
All teams selected to go to the Business Pitch Final round will be required to attend training provided by the Small Business Development Center at Pasadena City College through their VentureLaunch program. http://pccventurelaunch.com
This program provides real world, hands-on learning on what it’s like to actually start a company and provides a place where students can test their idea with real world entrepreneurial mentors in order to get themselves ready for Final Business Pitch day. The schedule for the classes every Saturday and are as follows:
March 25th, 2:00PM - 5PM (Pasadena City College)
April 1st, 2:00PM - 5PM (Pasadena City College)
April 8th, 2:00PM - 5PM (Pasadena City College)
April 15th 2:00PM - 5PM (Pasadena City College)
April 17th, 4:30pm - 6pm (Cal State L.A.)
April 19th, 2017 | Golden Eagle Ballroom 1